Hey all! Thanks to all who made it out to Walter's for our February meeting. For those who couldn't make it here are some highlights and announcements we made during the meeting.
2019 Club Competition Styles
We will have 4 club competitions this year. After lots of discussion we have decided on the following styles, so start preparing early!
- March - Any style defined by the BJCP, but it must be made from malt extract
- June - Kettle Sour
- September - Kottbusser
- Everyone participating in the September competition will brew the exact same recipe, which will be posted to our website in the near future
- We will be evaluating differences in brewing technique and equipment
- December - Pick a style. Everyone participating in the December competition will draw a random style from the BJCP 2015 guidelines. You can draw a style during our club meetings.
This month was the first in a series of off-flavor training. For this training session, we focused on Diacetyl and Lightstruck.
- Diacetyl - described as having buttery, butterscotch, creamy & toffee flavors and aromas
- Lightstruck - described as having skunk and sulfur aromas
For each, we added the flavor component to a light neutral flavored beer. We observed the aroma and flavors. Both diacetyl and lightstruck were overpowering and definitely showcased the flaws that we as brewers strive to avoid. For more information about each, we have posted additional information on our website.
Malt House Tour
We raffled off a 1lb bag of Northern Brewer Hops graciously donated by Adam Wiseman. Congratulations to Jane Bongirno who won the hops!
Thank you to Lee and Jane Bongirno, Cory & Marlo Sulivan and Adam Wiseman for bringing some homebrew for use to sample and critique.
- Lee and Jane - IPA brewed with Zeus, Ekuanot & Azacca hops all of which were won last year during a club raffle.
- Cory and Marlo - Classic Nut Brown Ale
- Adam - Saison fermented with Kveik yeast at 98°
Hey all! Thanks to all who made it out to Walter's for our January meeting. We had a good turnout for this month's meeting, but for those who couldn't make it here are some highlights and announcements we made during the meeting.
Thanks to Bart Carter for once again hosting our annual Christmas Party! As always the party was a good time! In addition to enjoying the holiday festivities we elected club officers for 2019 and judged our December homebrew competition. Congratulations to Jason Cipriani. His Double IPA, SSIPA took first Place!
2019 Club Officers & Board
President - Jenna Valentine
Vice President - Brian Crosson
Treasurer - Mike Mahan
Secretary - Jon Valentine
Board Member - Bart Carter
Board Member - Jason Cipriani
Board Member - Brett Antonson
Board Member - Joey Miller
Board Member - Adam Wiseman
We will have four club homebrew competitions this year. The competitions will be in March, June, September and December. The theme for the March competition is open to any style, but must be made from malt extract! The June, September and Decembers styles will be announced at the February club meeting.
We plan on having an education topic presented at each monthly meeting. We have some exciting topics to discuss including off-flavors and how to detect and prevent them, DIY PBW and much more. If you have an idea or would like to present a topic to the club please reach out to any board member.
Firestone Walter Vertical Tasting
Thank you to Cory and Marlo Sulivan for graciously donating the Firestone Walter Vertical (2011-2016), which they won at the Christmas Party!
We raffled off charred oak infusion sticks from Briar And Oak. Congratulations to our winner Troy Rahner!
Peterson Air Force Base Homebrew Competition
As a reminder the annual PAFB Homebrew Competition is upon us.
- Entry and drop-off deadline: February 1st, 2019
- Entries can be dropped off at Walter's
We are a homebrew club after all! Thanks to Jason Cipriani and Adam Wiseman for bringing some homebrew for us to sample and critique.