Hey all! Thanks to all who made it out to Walter's for our February meeting. For those who couldn't make it here are some highlights and announcements we made during the meeting.
2019 Club Competition Styles
We will have 4 club competitions this year. After lots of discussion we have decided on the following styles, so start preparing early!
- March - Any style defined by the BJCP, but it must be made from malt extract
- June - Kettle Sour
- September - Kottbusser
- Everyone participating in the September competition will brew the exact same recipe, which will be posted to our website in the near future
- We will be evaluating differences in brewing technique and equipment
- December - Pick a style. Everyone participating in the December competition will draw a random style from the BJCP 2015 guidelines. You can draw a style during our club meetings.
This month was the first in a series of off-flavor training. For this training session, we focused on Diacetyl and Lightstruck.
- Diacetyl - described as having buttery, butterscotch, creamy & toffee flavors and aromas
- Lightstruck - described as having skunk and sulfur aromas
For each, we added the flavor component to a light neutral flavored beer. We observed the aroma and flavors. Both diacetyl and lightstruck were overpowering and definitely showcased the flaws that we as brewers strive to avoid. For more information about each, we have posted additional information on our website.
Malt House Tour
We raffled off a 1lb bag of Northern Brewer Hops graciously donated by Adam Wiseman. Congratulations to Jane Bongirno who won the hops!
Thank you to Lee and Jane Bongirno, Cory & Marlo Sulivan and Adam Wiseman for bringing some homebrew for use to sample and critique.
- Lee and Jane - IPA brewed with Zeus, Ekuanot & Azacca hops all of which were won last year during a club raffle.
- Cory and Marlo - Classic Nut Brown Ale
- Adam - Saison fermented with Kveik yeast at 98°